This course leads to the Cambridge International English Level Testing System examination. IELTS is often required for those who wish to attend a course in tertiary education in Britain, Australia, New Zealand, the USA, Canada and some institutions in Singapore.
The course is for students with a higher level of English who are preparing for the academic IELTS examination.
The course consists of 15 hours of lessons a week. It is taught in the context of the four exam papers – Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking.
Ideally students would be at Upper-intermediate level but, as IELTS is a multi-level exam, students can join if they are Intermediate level and are committed to working towards the exam.
By the end of the IELTS – Exam preparation course you will be able to:
- interpret and describe graphs in writing
- write a discursive or opinion essay
- read and interpret academic texts
- answer comprehension questions on written texts as found in the IELTS examination
- identify specific information and infer point of view in written texts
- take part in discussions and practise the speaking skills required in the IELTS examination
- perform with confidence in the oral component of the examination
- take accurate notes from a spoken text or dialogue
- listen to a variety of spoken text types of the kind used in IELTS examination.
If you want to study at university in the UK, you will almost certainly need to take the IELTS exam in order to show that you have the necessary level of English, you may also need to take the exam to show your level of English if you intend to live permanently in an English speaking country.
On average our students achieve 6.5 in IELTS exams (mean 6.26)